Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blog Post #11

Computer Lab Pictures, Images and Photos

Little Kids...BIG POTENTIAL

What a precious video! During this video Ms. Cassidy has incorporated all of the different technological ways she is using to teach her students. I think it is great to have the students start using technology so young. It goes to show us that just because they are young doesn't mean they can't use it. I feel that teaching them young provides more expansion for learning in the future. I want to teach my students to use these tools, such as blogging, and let them explore learning in a new way. I think this was a great video because all teachers should be aware that no matter how young they are still capable of using technology to learn.

Discussion with Ms. Cassidy

It all started when Ms. Cassidy received 5 sunray computers in her classroom. The computers were unable to upload any type on program onto it so she had to find a way to teach six year olds using the internet. She uses blogs and other sites that the students can learn from. Ms. Cassidy starts at the beginning of the year and has a coordinator to help her with her teaching but mostly does all of it on her own. In order for her students to work with computers they must have a permission slip signed. They also have to have a permission slip signed to have their pictures taken and posted on their webpage or blogs. These things are understandable and smart. I feel as if I was a parent, I would want to know if my child's picture and such was on the internet. Also, as a parent I think I would love this because I could see what was going on in their classroom by just getting online. Ms. Cassidy also states the importance of moving forward and using more advanced tools to teach our students. A great factor in blogging is that the students get tickled to death about having an audience and getting to see what people comment to them. Ms. Cassidy makes sure to show them all the comments they receive and all the positive feedback using tools of her own. Something that has been stated over and over in this class, we must keep up with technolgy, is definately something that Ms. Cassidy agrees with. Ms. Cassidy is very enthusiastic on Twitter and finds it very helpful for homework. I thought it was great that the students in Dr. Strange's class asked Ms. Cassidy questions.

I think Ms. Cassidy in an inspiration for all teachers using technology. She studied and discovered ways to use the tools she had and make the best of her situation. She didn't hold back because of age and that is something all of us need to remember. I certainly plan to use blogging in my classroom one day not only because it is a great way for the children to interact with the world wide web but because I think it is great for parents to be able to keep up with their child's progress. I know I would certainly appreciate that as a parent.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan
    I agree with you. I also feel that teaching the students at such a young age is great. They are ready to learn and are excited about learning new things. I also feel that introducing them to technology at such a young age will help them understand and remember once they are older. I have always thought that if you teach a child at a young age they will never forget what they have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. She is a great inspiration. Now that you are inspired, go do it as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete