Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blog Assignment 2

-Did You Know? Honestly, this video scared me. It initially scared me to think about how much is going on around me and in the world every second that I knew was going on, but didn't fully comprehend. Along with being a little scared and shocked I also felt excited about becoming an educator.

As a teacher I am actually going to have a say so and a direct impact on students that will contribute to all that is going on in the world and that fact in itself excites me. At the end of the video it asked us what all this information meant. To me it means that we never stop learning and growing and as teachers we will never stop learning even if we are the ones behind the podium.


-Mr. Winkle Wakes. I sure felt sorry for Mr. Winkle Wakes at the beginning of the video because I can only imagine how a person would react if we took them from one hundred years ago and threw them into the present without a warning as to what to expect. And I know that if I went to sleep today and woke up one hundred years later I would react just the same as Mr. Winkle Wakes.

I also know that the purpose of this video was to let society know that schools have to move forward and have to constantly keep moving forward. I believe there is not enough technology used in the classrooms and this video was a great illustration of that problem. There are too many electronic resources and new technological advances that are around us for teachers to not incorporate them into the curriculum.


-Schools Kill Creativity. Ken Robinson was a great speaker and he made many valid points throughout his speech. He seems to be really passionate about education. When he mentioned that we grow out of education and that children are born artists I think he made a great point. Children are known for their creativity and carefree attitudes towards life that we all love, but as they grow we teach them how to think instead of letting them have their own creative imputs and ideas.

Another thing he mentioned was that we need to expect to be wrong in order to learn, but as we grow into adults we lose the capacity to expect to be wrong. I loved that he said this because as we go through life we learn by experience and in many cases we are either wrong or we see others make mistakes. As we grow and become proud we still need to be alright with error in order to grow. This point really spoke to me.


-Harness Your Students Degital Smarts. EVERY STUDENT CAN LEARN. When a student is given just paper and pencil, it limits them to only be able to do certain things, but through technology students will be able to be more creative and learn in many more ways. This is what Vicki Davis believes. She is definately a teacher who uses media in the classroom and to educate her students. She has taken advantage of the opportunity in front of her through computers and technology to educate students and she should be an example to all teachers. She is a great example of how media can effectively be used in the classroom.

Another thing that she does that other teachers should incorporate is that she makes them be thinkers and brainstorm. Instead of teaching everything we should give students an opportunity to seek information themselves and think of the impowerment that student wil have from doing just that.

1 comment: