Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog Post #7

Randy Frederick Pausch Pictures, Images and Photos
"Randy Pausch: The Last Lesture"
At the biginning of the lecture Pausch tells us about the ten tumors he has in his liver. He also tells us that this is not what the lecture will be based on. The basis of the video was accomplishing everything you set out to do as a child. Pausch shows us his list of childhood dreams. This particular list looked difficult to achieve, but I was wrong. One of his first goals was to be in zero gravity. The opportunity actually opened up for this to happen. He said that everything was going great until he hit the first brick wall. A lot of people would have given up or sure, but not Pausch. He said that "brick walls are not to keep us out, but to show us how bad we want something." This really got to me because it can be so useful in life in all kinds of situations. In most cases people do not give up, but try to find a way around it. As he continues down his list, one of them was to be Captain Kirk. Obviously this couldn't happen so he just decided to change it to meeting him instead. Pausch tells us that it is okay for dreams to change because you do realize some of them cannot be achieved or you might just want something different. I also thought it was good to hear that dreams can change, but you should still never give up on achieving those dreams, even if they are alternated a bit. I had no trouble staying in tune to the video. I can honestly say I enjoyed the video and am inspired by his message. He was also very happy throughout the video. We can all use that happiness as a model in our own lives. I can take away with me the belief that no dream is impossible to achieve as long as we set out to make it happen. Do not let brick walls hold you back from anything. After working with Disney Imagineers for a while, Paush realized that was something he was not wanting to do, so he stopped and there is nothing wrong with that. After all this, Pausch mentioned how none of this would have been possible without his parents and it made me smile. Parents play such a huge role in most of our lives. Pausch has probably inspired many people through this lecture in cluding myself. He talks about one student who wanted to work on Star Wars movies, and he was able to work on three of them. I think there should be more people and professors like Randy Pausch and I hope to be like him as well in my classroom one day.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the points that you liked, many of them were the same notes I took away from this video. I also liked the comment about football-perspective changes when you hear about what they were working on. Another point that I took away from this video was when he said critics are the ones that truly care. I know that when someone tells me I did something wrong I often get disappointed and take it negatively. I LOVE his positivity throughout the whole video.

    ReplyDelete